Vegan General Tso’s Tempeh

This healthier, vegan General Tso's Tempeh features chunks of crispy fried tempeh, all drenched in that deliciously sweet, tangy and slightly spicy sauce we all love so much.

This healthier, vegan General Tso's Tempeh features chunks of crispy fried tempeh, all drenched in that deliciously sweet, tangy and slightly spicy sauce we all love so much.

Man, do I ever love me a good General Tso's... Anything! I mean typically, General Tso's is supposed to be made with chicken, right? But honestly, I think that the sweet and sticky and tangy and slightly spicy sauce that makes the dish what it is goes well with just about everything: tempeh, cauliflower, mushrooms, tofu, TVP, name it!  If I had my way, I'd have a recipe for each and every one of those options on the blog! But hey, there's plenty of other dishes worth exploring too, so this might have to wait a bit... 

For now, let's go with tempeh! While nothing will ever perform exactly like chicken, tempeh is a very decent "replacement", me finds. Once deep-fried, it gets all nice and crispy on the outside and keeps a soft, slightly chewy and tender interior. 

Cuz yeah... typically, General Tso's is supposed to be deep fried, to make those sauce-drenched morsels of food all nice and golden and crispy. While I do tend to agree with that concept, I often find that I'm not really in the mood for deep frying, or that I don't really have time for all the fuss...  With that in mind, I'm giving you the option here: to fry or not to fry. For the blog post, I went all out and took the deep-fried route, but say you were in a pinch, or simply preferred to pass on the deep frying, you could just as well take a short-cut and skip that entire deep-frying section. 

Although I must admit that if you forego the deep-frying, your tempeh nuggets won't be getting that nice, yummy, crispy exterior shell; so if time and mood permit, I say you should totally go for it. 

continue reading

The post Vegan General Tso’s Tempeh appeared first on The Healthy Foodie.



from The Healthy Foodie http://bit.ly/2HSwQ35

Comments